Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let Go and Enjoy The Moment

At the end of 2009, a friend and I went out. Unknowingly, we had a little misunderstanding – the building she was headed for, and the building I thought she had pointed, were different. Then she asked if I would rather jaywalk from where we were, or cross at the pedestrian crossing. Since the traffic light was closer to ‘my’ building, I suggested we use the pedestrian crossing at the traffic light. We did, but as it turned out, after crossing the road, we ended up taking a longer route than where we both originally headed. For a minute we stood and argued about which building where our destination lay. Then we realised the humour of the situation, looked at each other, smiled and said, “It doesn’t matter. Let’s enjoy ourselves!”

We were able to let go and enjoy the moment because we valued the relationship.

Last Friday, I lunched with another friend at Raffles City basement. As we were walking back to the train station, she could sense that I was overwhelmed by the maze of shops and eateries. Then she took a small step forward to lead me to the station.

I truly appreciate these two friends for just letting things be and enjoying the moment. Many things really do not matter. Getting into an argument or blame would sour the friendship.

Don’t sweat the small stuff, but just enjoy the moment – treasure and build the friendship.

Lunch anyone? (Hmm… I will try not to suggest crossing at the traffic light. Could you also lead me to the train station, please?)

No comments:

Post a Comment